Wednesday 21 November 2007

Louise Wood Coalville Workshop

Last night, Louise Wood held clay workshops with a group of Coalville residents at the Tenants and Residents Association Centre. See here for details of upcoming workshops in Coalville.

Despite a busy schedule, Louise was kind enough to allow us to photograph portraits of the participants and interview them about their lives in Coalville and their experiences of regeneration.

Left to right: Kyle, Chloe and Lewis

"I live with my sister in a care home. I love it there, I have my own bed. I like food, supper and tea. My dream house has a garden. I'd pick leaves up and put them in a bag. I'd cook my tea and wash up, have my own bed. Cozy bed. Big windows with big lights." Sharon.

"I've lived here half my life but I don't know where I was before then. I get peace and quiet because there's no children on my street, kids make too much noise. Everyone on my estate is going to have to move because we're having our houses knocked down because the builders are building a park thing. I'm not looking forward to it because I don't know where I'm going to live. I don't like my house because the builders are getting rid of the old house behind my house and all the mud keeps coming in our backyard and the dog keeps escaping. And it's noisy." Chantelle, 9 years old.

"I've lived in about four houses. I just keep moving. We moved off the estate, we lived on the estate, moved off, moved back on and then moved house because they weren't very good. I live at the bottom but there's no point spending any money on it because they're knocking it down to make the estate better. They give you application forms then a police check, and if they're all good, they'll think about giving you a house. I like it here because all my mates are here. It wouldn't feel right if you went anywhere else because you'd have to find loads of new mates again." What does regeneration mean to you? "It's where they destroy everything and make it again." Jack, 13 years old.

No comments: