Sunday 20 January 2008

There's No Place Like Home

Interviews with the cast of the New Vic Theatre's production of the Wizard of Oz, which ran from the 26 November 2007 until the 19 January 2008. More information about the production here.

Sheryl / Dorothy

"I'm from Fife in Scotland. Stoke is very, very grey and dull and not magical like the Emerald City. The Emerald City is very green and 'wow' and Stoke is very grey and rubbish. I've been living in someone else's house here, I'm used to living in London so it's quite different, it's very quiet."

Alastair / The Cowardly Lion

"I'm based in London but originally from Yorkshire. When I first came here I was really confused because I expected one big city, but there are about five or six separate towns and potteries." How is it different to the Emerald City? "Well, you don't see many lions and tin men running around here."

Stephen / Tinman

"There's lots of things to do here, everyone's really happy. I've seen a lot of films here - I've seen everything going - you can ask me any question about a film. From the outset, it's a little bit dull here but once you go round the potteries and you see all these amazing potteries and stuff, you realize it's got a lot going for it. It's not as hip and happening as London but that's the way the cookie crumbles."

William / Scarecrow

"I've been working here for two and a half months, I like working here because the theater is incredible. We haven't got out much, it's very quiet here, everything seems to close by about 8 o'clock. You know you're in Stoke because of the monkey forest. It's a facility run by monkeys for monkeys. It's about 2 miles out, I really enjoyed that. You've got a lot of countryside around but I've been here in the winter so it's quite dreary, and wet. You don't see nearly as much dancing in the streets as you do in the Emerald City and you have a lot more Thai restaurants in Newcastle and a lot more hairdressers too."

No comments: