Friday 15 February 2008

Interview with Dinu Li

DL - Dinu Li
MH - Mishka Henner

MH: Could you tell us about the film you're working on and how you chose your actress?

DL:
There were over 500 people who responded to the call out for an actress because they were attracted to this Dangerous Liaison theme. I think they thought it would be this huge Hollywood film I was making. But the reason why I am interested in Dangerous Liaisons is because in the opening and the end of the film we see the main character putting on and taking off her make-up and for me that is the essence of change. When you put your make-up on you become something else and whe you take your make-up off you again you become this different person, so that is what I am trying to recreate.

What I asked for were people who had rosy complexions and classic features. I also wanted people who are quite local. For me Rachel just has this look without having to try very hard. She already is very interesting to look at. And I think Rachel has a presence that the others don't so that will be very useful later.

You will eventually see all these interiors but shot in timelapse. You'll just see the light passing through. this is from upstairs but it's not good to be there, I've become ill coz it's so dusty. If you spend ten minutes your skin starts to itch because of the asbestos and lots of dead pigeons everywhere and pigeon shit. There are essentially three different centuries going on; the 18th, 19th, and 20th century. I'm leaving the 21st century out, I'm not describing it.

MH: How did you find this location?

DL: Once I knew I was doing the commission I came here and started talkng to lots of local people and Peter was the one actually, Peta Murphy Burke kept going on about this place and I just wanted to be sure so I looked at lots of other places and filmed some others. Local historian Fred Hughes has also been very helpful. Once I got stuck into this things started to grow on me because of the wallpaper. I also like the light and shadow of this space.

MH: How important is the timelapse element of this piece?

DL:
It's hugely important because that is what the commission is about. It's about the changing of places and people and so when you think about even the title 'timelapse' it's just so relevant.

Dinu will be showing his film, looking at the passing of light and the changes that take place in time and space, on Monday 17th March 2008 at the Film Theatre, Flaxman Building, Staffordshire University, College Road, Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 2EF. Complimentary drinks and snacks will be available from 6.30pm, with the main presentation and Q&A session starting at 7pm.

No comments: