Friday 2 November 2007

The View from Renew

"I oversee the implementation of the delivery programme, about £38million of Renew funds. We're starting to see some iconic projects come forward, not just the standard housebuilders' offer. It's not the easiest place to get to in terms of sharing a single vision but I think we're getting there. It takes so much time to start seeing anything happening on the ground. It's like any other regeneration project, it can take 5 years before you start seeing any measurable impact." Joanne (above left) is Renew's Interim Head of Programmes. Peter (above right) is Renew's Head of Resources.

"You have to be passionate to do this work because you get so much flak you'd start questioning why you were doing it otherwise. Some residents say 'why aren't you giving me the opportunity to move?', others say 'why are you making me move?' Some councillors say 'why are you doing it in my area?', others say 'why aren't you doing it in my area?'" Debbie (above), Renew Programme Manager for Knutton & Cross Heath.

"You get to meet so many people in my job, everything from Ministers of State down to Mrs Jones who lives on Wellington Street. The best part is meeting the community and getting to know them. They're such lovely people. The tough parts are probably also the people and the change they're going through because change is always difficult. It's hard sometimes to talk to them about that because they're finding it difficult to deal with and you can imagine it happening to yourself and it's quite an emotional thing so it can be difficult. But then you just have to look at the bigger picture and how it's going to be in the future and that one day it will be better." Alex (above), Renew PR & Communications Officer.

"I'm born and bred in Stoke-on-Trent and being part of such a fantastic regeneration programme is really important because in years to come I can step back and say I was part of that. I get a lot of satisfaction from it because I can see the bigger picture and how it's going to benefit everybody. I think artists and myself look at regeneration deep rooted and in-depth, but from different perspectives. I'm looking at it from a complete picture and artists may just concentrate on just one area of regeneration. Both of us aren't just looking at the surface though, we're looking at the foundations." Heather (above), Renew PR & Communications Officer.

"There's probably a dozen clearance areas on the go in City Centre south so there's a lot upset with that. But what gives you a smile is when someone moves into somewhere new and start appreciating that the quality of life is better, then you certainly think it's been worthwhile. We do far more refurbishments than we do demolitions. I think the ratio is about five to one but that never makes the papers. It's far more emotive and sells more papers if you focus on people who are upset by the clearance process. I think it's very true to say that in some of the clearance areas that we deal with it is the minority who are upset." Nick (above), Renew Programme Manager for City Centre South.

No comments: